Student Visa For Canada
Canada Study Permit requirements
In Canada, a student visa is called study permit.
Requirements vary depending on your application stream. You can either apply in the Regular Stream or Study Direct Stream (SDS). The following requirements are applicable to all applicants (Regular and SDS streams):
Application for a Study Permit – Checklist
1. Family Information Form (IMM 5707) fully completed, dated and signed. If not applicable, write N/A.
2. Original passports and a copy of the passport bio-data page
- Birth certificate.
- Notarized Custodianship Declaration – Custodian for Minors Studying in Canada (IMM5646), if applicable.
- If accompanied by one parent for the duration of studies, a notarised consent letter from the non-accompanying parent is required.
3. Letter of Acceptance from the Designated Learning Institution where you intend to study stating
- unconditional admission;
- course title;
- duration of study;
- level of study;
- start date (multiple start dates, if applicable); and
- latest possible date of admission.
*If your acceptance is conditional, you must show you can meet the conditions.
4. Official fee schedule which includes:
- accommodations and meal plans; and
- miscellaneous expenses (medical insurance, books, memberships).
5. A personal study plan: A description of your proposed program of studies as it relates to your academic, technical, or vocational background and future career goals.
6. Proof of studies: You must provide evidence of all current and past education, including but not limited to:
- copies of all diplomas and certificates;
- evidence of ongoing enrolment (if applicable);
- post-secondary transcripts;
- other academic transcripts (up to date).
- Certificat d’Acceptation du Québec (CAQ) if you will be studying in Quebec.
7. Police Certificates: Required for applicants 18 years old or over.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If submitting an online application, scan and upload your Police Certificate.
8. Background questionnaire: If you have answered “yes” to any of the background information questions on the application form, provide a completed and signed Schedule 1 form (Application for Temporary Resident Visa – IMM 5257B) and include it with your application.
Note: You must submit a certified translation with any document that is not in English or French.
Study permit conditions are reviewed and changed on a continuing basis by the Canadian Immigration Authority. The most accurate way to find this is to use the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.
Source: Immigration Canada